and truly ENJOY salmon.
And it was all from my mom!
I have been trying to eat salmon for a couple of years. Trying...I know, weird. It may be chock full of good stuff , but it can also be a little too 'fishy' tasting for my liking. Actually, come to think of it, I never even started eating fish, of any sort, until I met my husband.
Anyway, when I eat something, I want it to be good for me and taste yummy! I need both! I thought salmon was an acquired taste for my pallet kinda like beer was in college, so I kept on trying it on various occasions. After two years, no acquiring was happening...none. I wanted to like salmon, I really did. Plus, I wanted to set an example for my boys and teach them about all these yummy and "so good for you" foods that are out there that don't contain high fructose corn syrup, frosting, and sprinkles. They are so young and now is the time!
Well, on one of my mom's visits to Michigan, about a year ago, she made salmon for us and I have been lovin' it ever since! We now actually try to eat salmon for dinner every week. My boys eat this right up, with a little tartar dipping sauce, of course.
My mom tells me she learned of this recipe from the Food Network, which I then searched and found tons of variations of.
Grilled Wild Alaskan Salmon with Mango Salsa
1.Wild Alaskan Salmon filet-this tastes the best.
2. Sprinkle salt (pretty thick) on both sides of salmon filet
3. Place filet in bowl of ice water
4. Soak filet for about 15-20 minutes
5. Take filet out of water and rinse off. Rinse bowl and fill with cold, ice water. Place filet back into the ice water for another 15-20 minutes.
6. Grill salmon filet, skin side down for 10 minutes.
7. Take salmon off grill and peel skin off.
8. Place salmon on your plate with a heaping scoop of Mango Salsa on top!
This salsa can be made so many different ways. If you like spicy, add jalapenos. Sweet..add orange juice. Of add a little of both. I don't like red onions, so I used a sweet vidalia onion. Or add cilantro! So many options!!
Here is what I did!