Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Vegetable Pie

I made Vegetable Pie the other night for dinner and I was reminded how absolutely wonderfully delicious it is. Pat and the boys (especially Pat) really liked it. Pat kept asking, "what is this...it's so good?" as he was taking large bites. 

This is a recipe that my Aunt Carolyn introduced to me a long time ago and I was randomly reminded of it recently. I thought to myself, I need to make that and make it soon. I had just happened to have a pie crust in the freezer about to expire and a bunch of veggies in the refrigerator (Sunday night was vegetable baked spaghetti..another hit among all three boys). So I confirmed this extremely simple recipe from my Auntie (source of recipe...I forgot to ask) and set to work. 

It's so easy to make and it is truly melt-in-your-mouth delicious! With that being said, I thought I would share the recipe with you because you seriously should make this...seriously!

Vegetable Pie
Ingredients
-Vegetables-any you have on hand
 *I used the following*
 -1/2 green pepper
 -1/2 red pepper
 -1/2 orange pepper
 -1/2 medium sweet onion
 -1/2 yellow squash
 -1/2 zuchinni
 -1 Roma tomato
**I stay away from vegetables that can be watery, for example, mushrooms or broccoli.**
-1 stick of butter
-1 store-bought pie crust (or homemade pie crust)
-salt and pepper
-1 cup Parmesan Cheese
-2 cups Mozzarella Cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Cut up all your veggies.

2. Saute all your veggies in the 1 stick of butter (I know..I know..but it's just too good!). Add salt and pepper as you go, however much you would like.

3. Mix the 1 cup of Parmesan with the 2 cups of Mozzeralla.

4. Prepare your pie crust and put into pie dish. Please don't laugh too loud when you see mine as it's pretty pathetic. I was kinda in a hurry because O-Bubs was right at my feet doing this:


5. Now you are going to start layering the cheese and vegetables. Start with the cheese then the vegetables and on your last layer of veggies top with sliced tomatoes and then the last of the cheese.





6. Top it off with the other half of your pie crust, any which way you please. I chose to go out of my comfort zone and give the lattice crust a try! I have to say I was a bit nervous to try this, but it was super easy to do and it sure makes it look pretty!

7. Bake it at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Let it set for about 10 minutes before you dig in.

And we dug in! Delicious!

*This could be a main entree or a side dish for dinner. I made this as a side dish with grilled salmon and it was perfect together. It's very filling and so yummy you will want to have more than one helping, so having it as a main entree is a good idea too.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anne Wallisch said...

What a great addition to any meal or the entre' - and it looks "pretty" too!
Thanks for the reminder of this great dish.......and thanks to my sissy's for the recipe!
HHKK

Anne Wallisch said...

FYI - this recipe is Jeanie's!