Thursday, March 18, 2010

The BEST granola I have ever had in my whole life!!

Do you eat breakfast? Do any moms eat breakfast?

I am lucky if I am able to! I need to enjoy a cup or two of coffee before I can even think about eating something. Gotta start the morning off right, you know, with caffeine. Sometimes it is 1:00 pm and I am getting the dizzies before I realize that I have not eaten anything yet. Not very healthy! Once my boys awake for the day, it's pretty much go-go-go! But, a momma has got to take care of herself! You agree?!

Here is a healthy and easy to 'grab on the go' solution...granola!

And this is the BEST granola ever!
Seriously, I am not exaggerating, it's the best.


My sister-in-law Tami introduced me to this granola recipe, which is originally from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. I have had it many times with her and my mother-in-law, who makes it as well. I think I ate it every morning while we were in Florida. With that in mind, I decided I had to make it for myself and my mom because I knew she'd love it too. Jackers and I had a little alone time the other night and so we took a trip to Trader Joe's for the all the ingredients. I so miss that store! They had everything we needed and for such reasonable prices. Perfection.

A couple of things:
1. You can pretty much add any ingredient (nut or dried fruit) that you like.
2. It makes a lot and it's filling. It could last you for probably up to 2 weeks.
3. There are so many ways you can eat this. On yogurt, with milk, by the handful, etc.
4. I made my granola with my changes in blue. Figs are not for me, ick!


Homemade Granola

4 cups rolled oats
2 cups unsweetened coconut (sweetened coconut)
2 cups sliced almonds
3/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cup small dried apricots
1 cup dried cherries (added)
1 cup dried cranberries (added)
1 cup black mission figs
1 cup roasted cashews, or pecans or walnuts (2 cups pecans)


-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
-Toss oats, nuts and coconut in a big bowl.
-Whisk oil and honey together in a small bowl.
-Pour over oats mixture and stir until all is covered.
-Put on baking sheet(s) and bake until golden brown for about 30 minutes, turning with spatula at about 15 minutes.
-Take out of oven, let cool on pan, turning a little with spatula.
-Put back in big bowl and add dried fruit.
-Store granola in an air tight container.

Enjoy this yummy, sweet and crunchy goodness!

No comments: