Monday, October 8, 2012

A 24 hour schedule

"With a baby, you are no longer on a night and day schedule, it is now a 24 hour schedule." This is what the nurse reminded me of during my hospital discharge after Adelyn was born. Ahh yes, thank you for the reminder kind nurse! And that is just what we have been living for the past 5 months. 

We are handling it pretty well (and by pretty well, I mean we both have glossy, red eyes with large dark circles underneath), but we both have our moments when we hit the wall...the exhaustion wall. Luckily, we usually experience this at different times so we can lean on each other in those moments of pure manic exhaustion. Now Adelyn is not the only one sleeping in this house, obviously her brothers are as well. They are awesome sleepers and have been since about 1 year old. However, they too have rough nights from time to time (thirsty, bad dream, it's too dark, it's too light, a monster in the room, a shadow on the wall, etc). Here is a classic example of what that sweet nurse was reminding me of when I was all up in my new baby glory. It happened just last night.

7:00 pm: Put Addy to bed.
7:30: Put boys to bed.
11:00: Addy wakes to eat.
2:30 Jack wakes up from a bad dream, rushes into my room in tears and jumps into our bed (it must have been a scary one because this rarely happens)
3:30: Addy wakes again (probably doesn't need to eat, but I'm so out of it that I feed her anyway).
3:45: Pat brings Jack back to his bed because he is still awake. He cries and calls out for me because he is still scared.
4:00: After I feed Addy, I go lay with Jack to cuddle him and calm his fears before I head back to bed.
5:45: Addy wakes again and Pat rubs her belly, shushs her and giver her a nuk.
6:30: Addy wakes again and Pat feeds her so I can take a shower,
6:35: Owen wakes up but we tell him he needs to stay in bed until 7:00 (that is our rule in this house...you can get out of bed when your alarm clock says 7:00 am).
7:00: Owen gets up.
7:15 Jack wakes up.
8:00 Addy wakes up.

I'm exhausted just from reading that...ugh! I know this too shall pass, but in the middle of the night when I would give anything for a few more hours/minutes of sleep, it just doesn't seem possible.

Good thing these munchkins are so darn cute and I love them to pieces.

No comments: